Why Choose Southside?
Our independent school provides personalised support in a Christian setting. We embrace flexible learning in a small class environment where staff are available to provide ready access to help. We have the capability to develop an individualised pathway to achieve a Queensland Certificate of Education.
Some of our extra learning support services include:
- Each grade has a youth worker available for additional assistance in and out of the classroom. They act as a supportive guide to provide ready access to help and direction.
- Our teachers and staff are trained in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention. This trauma-informed approach to education helps students develop strategies to manage trauma and become more resilient.
- Learning is designed to engage and support the needs of each learner.
- Personal development is focused on developing student’s abilities and their belief in them.
- We encourage students to pursue their dreams and ensure that they have the skills required to get a job or pursue further training and/or higher education options.
- We aim to grow student attachment to the local and global community to the extent of knowing they belong.
- We utilise the Outcomes Star as an individualised case management tool to co-create goals in the life journey of change. It helps us look at outcomes beyond academic achievement such as: Aspiration; Contribution; Confidence; Learning; People and support; and Communicating.
- To increase attendance and help with engagement a Transition Program was developed to afford a gentler start for student introduction to the community. Students learn about the various opportunities offered in the school and undertake basic literacy and numeracy assessment. The length of time spent in transition ranges from a few days to about six weeks.